Calling All Artist And Crafty People

Calling all artist and crafty people, I would like to have a little conversation about your work, or in reality, I have some questions and would like some opinions to them.

Firstly I know art is subjective and everyone has different taste, what I fall in love with my husband doesn’t like at all and that is not a bad thing, in fact I think its wonderful…..Maybe not wonderful when we are trying to decide what to do in our house, but as a whole I would hate it if we were all the same.



I know as artists we are constantly learning and growing in our craft, It has taken me a very long time to have the confidence to even call myself an artist and often I still think I’m just a pretender, so my I guess, my first question is when do you define someone as an artist for you?? Is it someone who just enjoys drawing painting sculpting or any other art form?  Is it just the doing that makes them an artist? Is it someone that had been to art school, studied a verity of different art forms? Is it someone who sell’s their art?? Is it a combination of all of the above? 

And that bring me to my second issue, what do you think about your art, when you look back at it what do you see? I am constantly looking at my work and thinking “Oh man I suck. Why do I bother, oh woe is me. ” Then ten minutes later thinking “Yeah I rocked that. I am the queen of my domain.” Am I normal in thinking that? Surely I can’t be the only person that does this? When did you get to a point if you ever did, were you can look at your work and be happy with it? Is this just a self-confidence issue for me? Or is it something that will come in time? I have been told I have under-priced my work when it com to selling it, but then I have such bouts of self-doubt I feel like I am ripping people off if I don’t price it low or I won’t sell it at all

And now I ranting, anyway what do you think drop me a comment below or on Facebook

Comments

  1. I feel everything you said :) Being an artist is a roller coaster of emotion! Elation followed immediately by self doubt and throwing the art away. Then taking it out of the bin the next day. I guess I think of an artist as someone who creates with feeling. Trying to share with others their own vision of how the world is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for commenting, I hate to say it but it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing I'm not the only one...lol

      Delete
  2. I think an artist can be any of the three, or just one... really I feel that so long as you have the live of art and your putting you mark out there some how - your an artist! Weather or not you want to school for it, you sell it or keep it for yourself.
    And that self doubt thing, I do it too!! I think that everyone is just designed to see there own flaws, be it, in there art, music, themselves.
    And selling your artwork, I don't know much on selling and that kind of thing, but at the end of the day you have to put on it what your comfortable with. Weather it's $2 or $200... if it sells it sells, maybe marking some of your next work up a little more might make you feel a little more confident in putting a higher price on it.
    I do feel you could sell your work for more, but it's up to you.
    Love your work though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans for the vote of confidence hun :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when I create something, I may or may not like it, I leave it for a day or so, and then I come back. It's almost like I'm seeing it for the first time. Sometimes, I think, "Damn, that's good!", when in the beginning, I didn't like it at all. Ha! Fondly, Tami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I'm thinking this is a common thing among us creative types...lol good to know its not just me though

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts