Altered Mixed media painting, "Skully"

So I have been watching a bit of YouTube lately and I stumbled across Angela Holt channel and I just fell in love with her 1930 pin up girls done in the Finnabair style.  I thought hmmmm, I want to do that, but with a sub par printer, I just couldn't get hold of a good enough photo to use, but no worries Halloween is just around the corner and plenty of skulls are to be found!!



It wasn't in till I was out shopping with my hubby that the idea came to me about using the skull. Like most art/craft ideas it come in a flash and you get slightly obsessed about it, the search for the perfect skull was on. Originally I wanted to do one with the skull facing front and with a moving jaw bone. but soon changed my mind when the skull I really wanted was part of a entire skeleton and was going to cost $120. ummmm nooo!! 





I am not blessed with a unlimited budget for crafts like some so 99% of the products used in this came from the likes of the $2 shop, most of the flowers are just ones you buy in a bunch to display in your home. the spiders and bugs came from the animal bin in my sons room (they wont even notice there missing) and everything was just random bits and bobs from my stash. the background is made from just chipboard, and modeling paste, with inks, the flowers and headpiece was covered with copious amounts of gesso then sprayed with Fireworks inks that were supplied to my by The Scrap Heap. I loved theses inks, the gave a great coverage with vibrant colors, I recommend them!!






I must say this style of art/craft was a great marketing plan from Finnabair , if you are someone that only used bran name products doing something like this can cost you a small fortune. the amount of products used is mind boggling.

This is what I started off with, an old painting i got from the school gala 
and a plastic looking skull that would light up and laugh at you


Now I do understand this is not going to be everyone taste, but I love it!

Comments

Popular Posts