Absolution By Amanda Dick, Review.

Absolution
By Amanda Dick
4 Stars


I am always a little bit nervous when an author gives me a book to read and review, especially if it’s an author I have never read before, and especially when this author is debuting her first novel it’s even more worrying. I mean what if I hate it?? I have not liked books I have read for an author before and well I have always tried to be honest and fair in my reviews, and try and find good points. Sometimes it’s a bit more a stretch than others. But not this time, I can honestly say I have rather enjoyed this book.

Synopsis
A freak accident, a moment in time, and life changes forever. Stay or go - there's no such thing as the easy way out.

The accident wasn't his fault but in the horrific aftermath, Jack was placed in an impossible position, causing consequences he could never have foreseen. Consumed with guilt and unable to listen to reason, he takes the only option he believes is open to him: he disappears. Living a quiet life away from everyone he loves, he drops off the grid but the memories continue to haunt him.

Four years later, a funeral signals a homecoming fraught with tension as he finally forces himself to face up to the consequences of his actions. Betrayed and angry, his former best friend Callum wants nothing more than to see him disappear once again - for good this time. Meanwhile his ex-girlfriend Ally has moved on and he can see that his return is anything but easy for her. People change, life goes on and things are never as simple as they seem. The past has a habit of catching up with you when you least expect it.

Living with regret and guilt almost tore him apart, but there is no guarantee that trying to make amends will soothe his soul or help the ones he loves the most. 

Courage has many faces. Fighting for what you believe in, no matter what. Showing strength of mind and body when the cards are stacked against you. Rising to the challenge and playing through the pain. 

And yet sometimes, courage means simply standing your ground.

What I thought

I really did enjoy this book.  It was a lot more character driven than I am normally used to, and the romance aspect felt secondary to the story itself. I loved how these people were broken inside and out, they weren’t perfect, they all had flaws, you know like real people.  Ultimately this is a book about forgiveness, I mean the title itself sort of gives that away from the get go, but it’s forgiveness whether it be forgiving other people or learning to forgive yourself for your past mistakes no matter how bad. It’s about knowing that life has twists and turns and no matter how long or how far you run from them they will always catch you in the long run. And it's about second chances, and believing you deserve them.

It was well written and I really have enjoyed Amanda’s writing style. I felt it realistic as far as my knowledge of content went and I can definitely see myself absorbing everything she writes in the future. My only real critique was I would like to see emotion portrayed in other ways and not only in the eyes. But I believe over time that’s the sort of thing all authors get better with.

I could sympathize with most of the cast, but I did feel like Jack was forgiven by Ally way to easily, although at the same time I really felt his remorse and believed it. I think everyone tended to treat Ally with kid gloves a bit too much, I understand it up to a point, she has been through a lot, but come on let her breathe a bit. She has accepted her lot for the most part she isn’t going to break anymore. I was a bit miffed that no one could see that…lol

I think I was a little disappointed in the epilogue only for the fact that the romance lover in me really wanted a few more things tied up..lol I understand that that’s not how life works and hence that’s why the author has done things this way but I can’t help but wonder!!

Over all I am really impressed, I loved this and was amazed at the level of depth the story had to it. Well done Amanda, you should be proud of all you have achieved!!


Comments

  1. Thank you Jennie! Thanks for pointing out what I need to work on next time (and there will be a next time!) and thanks for your honest feedback. It really means a lot. I'm glad you enjoyed it too - that's a bonus! I know we've had a few discussions offline about various points, and I'm really grateful we got to do that. It's great to hear feedback like yours - everyone is getting so many different things out of this story that I hadn't even really consciously thought of as I wrote it, so it's a total learning opportunity for me, too! I feel very lucky.

    Hope you don't mind, but I've shared your review on my website - my first official review! Thank you :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind at all, I hope you really did like the review :)

      Delete
    2. I did - I wasn't expecting it at all! Thank you again :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts