Take This Regret By A L Jackson, Review.

Take This Regret
By A L Jackson
4 1/2 Stars

Take This Regret on Goodreads
On Amazon

I am finding this one soooo hard to sit down and write about. I don’t even know how many stars to give it honestly. On the one hand it was a really great read and I loved it, on the other I hated a big chunk of it!! Well that may be a bit of an exaggeration I didn’t hate it at all just one person!

Elizabeth and Christian are young, madly in love and have their whole lives set out for them. Finish school, become successful lawyers get married and start a family, but when Elizabeth becomes pregnant in their last year of school it all turns to custard when the love of her life says its him or the baby.

Then we fast forward five years, Christian is all woe is me and full of guilt. He has what seem to be a great life, he has a great job, money, he is young good looking and seems to have the world at his feet, but there is always something missing and one day while minding his own business doing his grocery shopping he found it looking up at him!

Ok right from the outset I hated Christian, who does that to someone?? Ok, so I know a lot of people do that really, but what a douche canoe!! For five years he knew there was a little person out there that was half of him and he did nothing!!  I hated that, and I hated how he just rocked on up wanting to see his kid too!! “Oh hi Elizabeth, yeah I know it’s been five years but I see that’s my kid and think I want to get to know them a bit” …OH HELL NO!!

But from there on it did get better this is told from both Christian’s and Elizabeth’s alternating POVs. I have to say that did save Christian, without his POV nothing would have redeemed this man, but to see and feel his guilt and growth, his aching need to fix his family and to never let them down again was rather awesome!

And Elizabeth the poor girl. Man I felt for her, I thought her reactions were so on the mark, and warranted. But as I started liking Christian I liked her less, at about the 87% I was like WTF are you doing woman!! I wanted to shake her so badly.


 “Never would I take what I’d been given for granted. I’d never look at her through indifferent eyes, listen to her fears and worries with distant ears, or touch her with impassive hands. Elizabeth was a gift and Lizzie was my treasure. I would adore my family until the day I died.” 

“What do you want, Christian?”
What did I want? To make her smile, to wipe away her tears, to hold her. To be a father, a real father, not one in title, but on who’d earned that right. I wanted to stay. 
“I want my family,” I forced through the lump in my throat.” 

“Maybe now I really understood why Elizabeth had run from me all of these months, why she would never allow herself to believe. A love as intense as the one we shared, one that had not dimmed through years of betrayal but had only grown, was terrifying. We had the power to destroy, to devastate and ruin, to lay the other to waste. But I wasn’t running.” 

“How could I relax when I had to welcome Christian into my home, the one who had wounded me deeper than anyone, the one who haunted my days and held me in my dreams?” 

All and all this was a story about betrayal, regret, forgiveness, hope and love. It was written beautifully, and utterly seamless, I really felt like I connected with the characters, I felt their growth and believed it. And you always know it’s a good book if it stirs up so much passion within you whether it is good or bad.   If you have been sucked in like that you know it’s good!

The next book is coming out in September so I have read, and yes I will be reading it. But this would work as a standalone as well, but hey there is going to be another one you may as well add it to the to read list!!And also everything else  A L Jackson has ever written!!

And yes after sitting on this for a few days I have gone with 4 1/2 stars!!


Comments

Popular Posts